Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Singapore - making it home

Market stall near our place
Neighbourhood near our place

So we have been in Singapore for 8 months now. Routines have been worked out. Kids go to full day childcare. I go to work and hubby splits time between home and office. We have even engaged a live-in helper, local style. She helps with the kids, keeps the house clean and prepares meals. Just because of this, I may never want to leave Singapore.
We finally take the kids to see the merlion
Boy is settled, I think. He only occasionally talks about going back to Florida. He goes to taekwondo once a week, but still misses Master Kwa. When he plays with the local kids, he adopts the Singlish accent - very cute (but a little annoying). Actually, I probably do that a little too, at work. Colleagues say it sounds funny, so I should stick to my American English. Then when I speak Mandarin, I sound like I'm from China. Can't win here - apparently I will be foreign anywhere I go...is that what the kids will face?
Taekwondo class
Girl seems to be growing so fast. She is proud to be able to reach the elevator buttons for going up, down, and to the first floor. She seems to miss Florida a little, saying occasionally that she wants to go to "Merica". She is in a Disney princess phase and choosy about her clothes and shoes (already!). Both kids are speaking more Mandarin - I am amazed at their progress.
We haven't done so much on weekends, but are trying harder. Now with a helper who can watch Girl while she naps, we took Boy to watch Ice Age 4 last weekend. We've had friends over (from Finland too), and playdates. Again, it's starting to feel like a normal life. One of the things the kids really like is to go to Palawan beach at Sentosa. There are sand, water (including water play features), playgrounds, and a food court! Not the prettiest beach (with cargo ships in the horizon), but an easy day out.
Palawan Beach at Sentosa
From the Palawan food court - fried carrot cake, sausages and hash browns
Another treat is Chili's. There are a couple of them in Singapore, and it feels just like you're back in the states. The kids like that their meals come with ice cream, and there is a toy store next door where Boy gets his monthly Lego installment. All the comforts of home.

No comments:

Post a Comment